At Beyond, we cover the main areas of business law. Our philosophy is to remain focused in the legal matters in which we are experts, and to provide our clients with rapid, clear and efficient solutions in both contentious and non-contentious matters. This is the reason why all of our associates are specialized in their own fields and any of our services can be delivered by native French and Dutch speakers and obviously also in English.
Our IP practice group provides strategic advice on all aspects of the protection, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property (IP) rights, such as copyrights, trademarks, trade names, geographical indications, designs, patents, know-how and trade secrets.
We advise our clients on the development and implementation of their IP strategy and assist them in the management of their IP portfolio.
In addition, we combine our legal expertise with business experience and technical knowledge to provide IP transactional services such as:
- software development and licensing agreements
- trademark, copyright and patent licensing agreements
- assignments of technology, know-how and related intellectual property
- agreements for communication services
- manufacturing agreements
- reseller and distribution agreements
- research and development agreements
Our ICT practice group handles a broad spectrum of contentious and non-contentious ICT matters.
We assist hardware manufacturers, software developers, system integrators, e-commerce players and suppliers of other ICT-related services – such as consulting, support and maintenance services – and advise them in a broad range of ICT-related matters, such as:
- software development and licensing agreements
- software distribution agreements
- hardware purchase or lease agreements
- data protection and privacy
- electronic signatures
- cloud computing
Given the multi-disciplinary expertise and in-depth industry knowledge of our team, we can offer a full range of services and support tailored to our clients’ needs.
We assist our clients in a wide range of compliance aspects, such as:
- conducting GDPR compliance audits
- providing in-house GDPR trainings to our clients’ personnel
- drafting of privacy and cookie policies
- drafting of data processing agreements
- drafting of data sharing agreements
- assistance with data protection impact assessments (DPIAs)
- assistance with our clients’ data mapping and their records of processing activities
- advice on the development and implementation of (internal) processes
- advising them on the transfer of personal data outside the EEA, including intra-group transfers (data transfer agreements, Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs), model clauses, etc.)
- advising them on the compliance of their advertising and marketing activities with privacy laws
- advice on how to deal with and respond to security breaches
With a focus on innovative businesses, our dynamic and creative corporate team has developed a strong expertise in the various areas of corporate law. We have become widely known as responsive, solution focused and pragmatic lawyers seeking the most efficient way for our clients to achieve their goals. Our clients include entrepreneurs, VC’s, business angels and international groups.
- structuring: we help our client to choose the most appropriate way to establish and organize their business as well as their relations with the different stakeholders, with a strong focus on corporate governance. This notably covers the choice of the most appropriate legal form as well as the drafting of shareholders’ agreements, partnership agreements and joint ventures agreements.
- restructuring: our agile corporate team assists the clients in reorganizing their business. This may include internal merger and demerger operations, winding-up and liquidation of legal entities and transfer of assets.
- merger & acquisition: we accompany our clients throughout the full process of the transfer or acquisition of business whether in the form of a share deal or an asset deal. This includes the precontractual discussions, the drafting and the negotiation of the legal documentation, the organization of the closing and the post-acquisition integration.
- private equity: we help our clients, acting as entrepreneurs or investors, in venture capital investments (fundraising) of all sizes, i.e. pre-seed and seed operations as well as operations including domestic and international investment funds (series A, B,… fundings). In the course of such venture operations but not only, we also assist our clients in implementing stock option plans.
- non-for profit: as Brussels is a worldwide decision center, we assist several national and international non-for-profit organizations located in Belgium mainly in relation to their structuring and restructuring, their corporate housekeeping and their corporate governance.
- corporate housekeeping: we also assist companies and not-for-profit entities, generally being a part of an international group. in their corporate housekeeping.
- security law: we assist our clients in relation to the implementation and enforcement of various kinds of securities and provide legal opinions in this respect in the framework of multijurisdictional financial operations.
- litigation: although we try to push for an amicable settlement, we have the capacity to assist our clients in bringing cases to the court if we deem it in the best interest of our clients. We are experienced in complex litigations with a focus on litigations between shareholders, relating to precontractual liability and post-acquisition claims. Our expertise covers also criminal law.
We advise and assist our clients on contentious and non-contentious matters in relation to commercial agreements and transactions across different sectors covering licensing, marketing, distribution, franchising, international sales, e-commerce, management and services …
In addition, we counsel our clients on matters of unfair trade practices and consumer protection.
We assist our client in tax matters mainly relating to
- corporate law, M&A and venture capital operations,
- copyright remuneration,
- tax shelter startup
- tax shelter for audiovisual and live productions
- general tax questions.
We represent our client vis-à-vis tax authorities (including tax ruling authorities) and before courts.
We assist our clients in structuring real estate projects. This includes the negotiation and drafting of diverse kind of contracts relating to all kinds of immovable property rights. This expertise also includes financial lease agreements and partnership agreements in relation to the development of projects in the energy sector. We also represent our clients in real estate related litigations.
Our corporate team can assist our clients (debtor, creditors or investors) in the choice of the optimal solution when facing situations which involve companies in financial distress(mainly but not only if bankrupt or in judicial reorganization procedure). We have the capacity to represent them in negotiations but also in litigations, including criminal law, with a particular focus on directors’ liability.